Wednesday, November 21, 2012

In The Rain


A lonely afternoon, somewhat melancholic, deeply frustrating and undoubtedly grim. Then suddenly, I heard that sound, the sound of rain - or rather music. It was as if a prayer that I had never said had been answered. And off I went, out of my home, out of my shell, into the rain. I went on a long lonely drive to nowhere.

The rain drops that hit my car created a song that lifted me. A song that my body danced to, without actually dancing. And my world seemed transformed - from melancholic, frustrating and grim to gleeful and carefree; though still somewhat lonely. My energy, which had been drained out by some (unkown) sadness was back. And I sang along with the rain, as I drove away to glory on the somewhat deserted roads.

After quite a long, watery drive, I brought my car to a halt, and set foot outside. As I felt the rain drops touch me, an overwhelming feeling of strange happiness surrounded me. And for one fleeting moment, the melancholy inside me was 'completely' gone. It was as if the cold drops of divine water that hit my body, percolated into my soul and somehow 'warmed' me. It was the most playful, light-hearted and romantic I had felt in a long time. I wish time just paused  there - at that cold, warm moment.

And as I stood there inhaling the fresh smell of rain,  I wondered why 'rain' is associated with the dark days of life (as they say - 'rainy days'). A rainy day is so wonderful, so amazing. It was then that it dawned on me that everything is what me make it to be. A rainy day can seem bleak and dreary - if you look at it that way. But it can also lift your spirits - like I found out. Sometimes, in the seemingly most dark and 'rainy' days of our lives, lies something beautiful, something glorious, if only we care to find it.

I remembered old, carefree, rainy days, when I used to fill the little streams of water with small boats. When just wearing a raincoat or holding an umbrella brought a sense of excitement. Where had that enthusiasm disappeared? Why had I forgotten to enjoy the rain all these days? Why had I allowed tension and sorrow to overwhelm me, drain me out and take control of me? Probably it was the growing up - the innocent days of childhood now a distant memory.  But in that moment, completely drenched in rain, I remembered those days, probably because I had suddenly discovered the child 'still' in me.

I returned home with a renewed spirit, with the realization that life was not so dull and gloomy after all. Maybe tomorrow the sadness will return; I may (will?) slip back into the gloomy mood. But, whenever that happens, I will remember this rainy day and hopefully, just the thought of it will bring back some cheer.

So bring out the child in you, go and dance in the rain, enjoy every day and moment, and you will discover that life is not that bad after all. You will then eternally find a happy, cheerful, enthusiastic you.

So when there's something biting you, some pain, or just plain boredom, pray that it rains so that you can drive away your melancholy.

http://blog.samarthprakash.com/index.php?itemid=20&catid=10

1 comment:

Misty Reflections